I got beautiful yarn from the variegated merino:
I think the last photo looks as if it had been photoshopped to play a supporting role in “The Artist“, but it is nothing elso than the yarn in all its glory (and a colour photo of grey yarn 🙂 )
Given the yardage and the number of colour skeins, I decided to go for a tartan design. Now, I think tartan is one of those beauties which look often quite simple, but contain a number of well thought principles to get a pleasant overall effect.
I looked up some pages of tartan designs. I decided early on to put an off-centre grid in a big grey square, and the pink yarn gave the most contrast, plus it was the yarn I had the least yardage off, so it only could be used as an accent. I then thought that I wanted another rather large stripe to counterbalance all the grey, so the blue and violet had to be combined to get enough width, hugged by the two different oranges.
The resulting fabric was quite open, perfect for felting. I love the result and will use the fabric in combination with an old skirt I don’t wear any longer to sew a tunic.
After test knitting this beautiful shawl, I initially wanted to keep it, but it really is the perfect Christmas gift for my mother:
Furthermore I wove a scarf with the same yarn:
My mother loves to wear matching colours with her husband, so a second Christmas gift was easily found.
The yarn used is Mirasol Nuna, a silk/ wool/ bamboo blend. What a beautiful drape it has! I purchased this yarn some years ago, and never found a pattern I wanted to try with it. But after having used it for these two accessories, I’m so much in love with it, that I ordered more of it in a grey colourway.
The yardage is fabulous (175m for 50g), the knitted fabric is very soft, shiny and drapes like a gentle breeze. It blocks great, there is not much pinning needed. The yarn bleeded a bit while soaking, though.
When being woven, it behaved very differently from pure wool yarn. The sides drew much more in, even still on the weaving frame. Beating is very easy, as the strings don’t stick to each other at all. It held well enough though to be sewn without hem stitching (I took the scarf directly from the weaving frame to the sewing machine).
A pleasure to work with!
To de-oups, I stranded a cotton yarn in a contrasting colour parallel to the string I wanted to repair and then took off the latter. With a blunt needle, I redid the weaving, finished the fringes, et voilà, that was it!
This scarf was a great success. The pattern and the yarn went perfectly well together. The South African Fine bloomed wonderfully after washing and a very supervised cycle in the dryer; the fibre is very soft and drapes beautifully, despite its relativ thickness.
While finishing the fringe (for which I invested in a Fringe Twister, as doing it by hand put too much strain on my wrists), I discovered two weaving errors not very far away from the border. this scarf really deserved some perfectionism, so i decided to repair the errors. I took some photos to document it and will write a post about it.
This will be a rather large scarf with all handspun yarn:
All the fibre comes from Spunky Eclectic again. It’s South African Fine in “Carribbean” and “Tahiti”, and Cultivated Silk Brick in “Neon Rainbow”.
The pattern I’ll use is the one from the april Weaving Club. The yarn which came with it wanted to be a sweater, so I ordered more of it. A beautiful, beautiful semi-solid teal. Nomnomnom!
As I’m part of the Spunky Weaving Club, I received this wonderful yarn for the mars installment:
After weaving, this scarf was to be felted, and it really was a big success.
The woven scarf:
To be sure that the squares would stay square, I needle felted them before taking the scarf off the loom:
I used this
to transform this
(It’s not the same square, but you can see the new fluffy prefelted fibres.)
As I love beads, I added wooden ones:
The fringe after felting:
And the whole scarf:
Believe me, it is as soft as it looks:
This is my first project with successful, intentional, wearable felting.